26 May 2011

for june



I've been expanding my poster making/fine art horizons lately. I am finally utilizing the huge box of watercolors, gouache and acrylic paints that have moved around with me for the past four or five years. While thrifting a couple of weeks ago, I found tons of old copies of National Geographic from the 20s and 30s. I've been cutting some of those apart for collages, combining them with watercolors and using what's left of my knowledge of graphic design to make them all work together.  

There is a poster I did a few weeks ago for these guys which I am not allowed to post now, as the tour hasn't been announced yet. This one, for their June tour, I put together pretty quickly and looks very different from the other pieces I've done recently. I love the idea of working with a simple and pretty palette, and relying on that to catch an eye - rather than fussing and stressing over detailed illustrations. I'll save those for my poor, neglected children's book that I started three years ago and haven't touched since. 

I think I'd like to get back into making posters again. In the past it was a good way of forcing myself to produce things. Sometimes it's hard to find the time or inspiration. As of now, I only have my ancient Fleet Foxes posters and the growing collection that I have made for the Red Heads over the years - none of which I'm all too fond of any longer. That should be good enough reason to start creating things again, I suppose.


1 comment:

  1. This looks awesome Aly!  I love seeing what you create and what the end results are.  You are so incredibly talented.  I love you dear sister.  I hope to see you producing more art soon, I have always loved it.

    ReplyDelete