24 December 2010

yip-shtick


These turned out a little funny (low lighting & photo booth don't mix well) but Kai is just so cute. When he asked me if he could put some "yip-shtick" on me,  I knew I had to capture the moment. He did okay at first, but pretty soon he was rubbing it all over my chin, which - as you can see - he thought was hilarious.

I had a really lovely evening with my family. We went out to dinner and then did some Christmas shopping. We have not been able to enjoy a nice meal out together in years (the downturn of the economy hit us rather hard), but due to the spirit of giving that Christmas tends to bring and the generosity of others, we will actually get to have a Christmas this year. That's not to say that the past couple of years have not been special. On the contrary, I still must say that one of my favorite adult Christmases was a couple of years ago when there were no tree or gifts - not even our usual special treats. Even still, it is very fun to go out and be surrounded by the hustle and bustle of the people downtown as they practice their own Christmas traditions. It's kind of exciting in a way, and it was nice to be a part of it again - even if just for a little while.

Once I returned home I popped over to the grocery store to buy what I need in order to fix up Christmas Eve dessert. I'm making this with (my favorite) vanilla bean custard sauce. I made Martha's cranberry upside-down cake last year for the fun of it, and I was not happy with how it turned out. Hopefully this one will be much better. I plan to rise a bit early to get my baking done, and then I will be bussing over to Gramma's house to help her with all of the Christmas Eve dinner preparations. I am looking forward to spending the day in the kitchen with my favorite lady.

I can't believe Christmas starts tomorrow! 2011 is just around the corner. How weird.



No comments:

Post a Comment