16 November 2008

coconut cupcakes




I made these last night for my work Holiday party at Anthro today. I think they are quite possibly the best cupcakes I've ever tasted. I couldn't stop eating the frosting!

Here is the recipe if you would like to try them.

Coconut Cupcakes
MAKES 18 TO 20 CUPCAKES

3/4 pound (3 sticks) unsalted butter - at room temperature
2 cups sugar
5 extra large eggs
1 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 teaspoon pure almond extract
3 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup buttermilk
14 ounces sweetened shredded coconut

Preheat oven to 325.

Cream butter & sugar until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. With mixer on low, add eggs one at a time, scraping down the bowl. Add vanilla & almond extracts, mix well.

In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In 3 parts, alternately add dry ingredients and buttermilk into the batter - beginning and ending with dry. Mix until just combined. Fold in 7 ounces of the shredded coconut.

Line muffin pan with paper liners. Fill each to the top with batter.

Bake 20-25 minutes. Cool in pan for about 15 minutes.

Frost and sprinkle with remaining coconut.


Icing

1 pound (2 cups) cream cheese - at room temperature
3/4 pound (3 sticks) unsalted butter - at room temperature
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon pure almond extract
1/2 pound (1 cup) confectioners sugar - sifted.

Beat together all ingredients, adding the sugar last.


Barack & Michelle are going to be on 60 Minutes tonight, but because of the party, I'm going to miss it! I wish I was caught up with the rest of the world when it comes to current television technology. I suppose I'll have to youtube it.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds DELICIOUS; I can't wait to make those with my best friend!

    ReplyDelete