18 November 2007

summer in the city

me - august 2007
















I miss the sun. I miss running around in shorts and little dresses and only being cold when splashing around in the lake. I like winter, but I feel freer and happier in the sun.


I'm forcing myself to get my life in order. I have a plan. I'm going to go back to The New York Fashion Academy in January and take classes there part time. By springtime, I hope to have a strong portfolio ready, and I will apply to the apparel design programs at my top 5 schools for the Fall 2008.

1. Central Saint Martin's College of Art & Design - London
2. Parsons School of Design - NYC
3. Fashion Institute of Technology - NYC
4. Academy of Art University - San Fransisco
5. Rhode Island School of Design - Providence


I've struggled for so long with what I want to do as a profession. I've considered almost everything. I thought I wanted to do graphic design/illustration, but I absolutely hate sitting in front of a computer for long periods of time. I get incredibly claustrophobic & grumpy. I still love to draw, but I think that since it's always been my "thing", I can't use it as a job. It completely ruins it for me. I realized I need to do something more hands on. I feel more productive that way. I love fashion - as superficial as it may be. I love it - and I love sewing. I worry that I'm not the right personality type to be involved in that world... So, I'm a little scared. Petrified, actually. But I'm diving into it.

3 comments:

  1. I can't remember where I heard it, but "do something that scares you every day" is pretty good advice to me. Even if it's something teeny tiny. So I think you're doing a great thing. Also I understand the "it would ruin it for me" thing... I never pursued Art History as a career because I thought it might die a little.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't remember where I heard it, but "do something that scares you every day" is pretty good advice to me. Even if it's something teeny tiny. So I think you're doing a great thing. Also I understand the "it would ruin it for me" thing... I never pursued Art History as a career because I thought it might die a little.

    ReplyDelete